Friday, April 15, 2011

And We Danced

The bride and groom


I talked to my son-in-law a few days ago.  He reminded me that it was five years ago this week he married my second youngest daughter.  It was an outdoor wedding in a Greek garden, there were hundreds of people there, and I didn't get to meet or visit with most of them.  That's because I was too busy dancing. 

Zac and Fawn had started taking each other pretty seriously when they were juniors in high school, and except for one breakup a piece during college, it looked like they might make this a permanent relationship.  It happened while Zac was in Baltimore, the Ravens needing a linebacker and all.  Fawn had flown up from Birmingham for a few days visit in mid December and it was cold, especially for a girl who'd spent most of her life in Alabama.  But Zac had a plan and nothing was going to deter him, not even the weather.   He took her to the newly unveiled World War II Memorial in D.C.in honor of her grandfather, and  there in that solemn place, he knelt and asked for her hand.

The date was set for April which didn't give us much time to get a wedding ready.  Even for a simple affair, that's pushing it.  But my daughter doesn't know the meaning of the word simple. And as if I didn't have enough to do, she informed her father and me that we absolutely had to learn how to dance before the event.  After all, she insisted, this was the most important day of her life, she wanted lots of music and dancing, and she expected her parents to be a part of it.  Period.

Us?  On a dance floor? 

I'd never danced. My parents didn't dance so I didn't either.  They never told me I couldn't but somehow I always sensed they might disapprove.  I wouldn't have been very good at it anyways as I've never been especially coordinated. And as for Larry, he can barely clap to a drum beat.  No, this wasn't going to be easy for either of us.

Anyone can slow dance

Did I mention that my parents considered dancing a bit on the worldly side?  I don't know what they would have thought of the dance lessons Larry and I were having in the church basement where he pastored.   A young military couple had recently visited on a Sunday morning, and the wife was pretty accomplished in the ball room.  She offered to meet with us there,  hopefully enough to keep us from looking totally inept on the dance floor. Thankfully she kept to the basics, teaching us a simple three-step with an occasional spin.  After a few sessions, she told us that we were ready to be on our own, reminded us to practice and bid us adieu.

Larry dancing with his other girls

One of Larry's favorite pictures sits on my piano.  It was taken the night before the wedding at the rehearsal  dinner.  Our young granddaughter Hayley is dancing, her face filled with laughter and delight, holding hands and being twirled by her grandfather. It was simply a prelude of what was coming. 

Hayley dancing with her grandpa after the rehearsal dinner

I think it's a shame that our culture gets the wedding thing over in one day, especially after all that preparation.  I personally like the way the Jews did it back in Bible times  Those people knew how to celebrate with several days of feasting, music and of course lots of dancing.   I wouldn't be at all surprised if Jesus danced right along with everyone else at that wedding in Cana, you know, the one where the wine ran out before the celebrating was over.  I've read that those wedding feasts could last an entire week.  Imagine.

Anticipating the next dance!

Fawn would have liked that.  Because after all the necessary formalities were out of the way , the serious stuff was about to begin.  This was what she had looked forward to since she was young enough to dream of a prince who would hold and cherish her forever.  The music was queued up, the dancing was about to begin. She laughed out loud in expectancy and pure elation.  This was what she had been waiting for.  She turned and looked for us.  She was about to dance.  And we were going to be there with her.

Fawn with her dad

8 comments:

Pastor Larry said...

Joy. Laughter. Love. Fun. What joy spilled from our hearts in those two evenings. I remember the line from a song that I heard from my past "I could have danced all night." That day ended. Five years later, the joy of those moments is as real to me as if ... why not ... Hey Marcy, may I have this dance.

Anonymous said...

What a delightful memory to share with us. Thank you...Barb

Unknown said...

Momma Marcy, thanks 4 sharing a part of Zac & Fawns' story!!

Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful wedding. I have a picture of Uncle Larry holding Riley and I love it so very much. He looks like Grandpa Burke in it.. :) I love you an your family so very much. xoxoxoxo
Heather
yfnitwww

Dave and Kathleen said...

I wish I could have been there! Tbanks for sharing it....Larry did not get his dancing skills from mom or dad I guess...they both loved to dance. Maybe we just were never taught how...That was a beutiful picture of a wonderful couple that have changed my life...just like you and Larry have changed my life...love you both very much...keep dancing!

Anonymous said...

It was as enjoyable to read as it was the first time I read it. I think Fawn could have danced all night. Love you...Barb

Unknown said...

Little Marce (as Fawn would say), I just saw this on your blog and had to read it... I'm glad I was there that night of their wedding to celebrate with your family:)

Anonymous said...

Love this story!! Thank you for sharing :)

Love you all,
Lee Ann