The women's bathroom had appeared empty when I slipped into one of the stalls that afternoon. I would make it quick. The movie was still running, but it could be going for another hour or so before it finished up. "I'll be just a minute," I had whispered to my companion. "I should be right back."
She gave me a nod as I headed down the steps and then walked the corridor towards the restrooms. The theater was relatively quiet except for the sound of booms that came from one of the other auditoriums. It was an afternoon matinee on a weekday, not the busiest of times.
Then I heard it, someone sobbing at the far end of the restroom. I opened the door and peered in the direction of the cries. As I approached the stall, telling her my name, and asking if there was anything I could do for her, the door slowly opened. A young woman in a staff shirt stepped out. With one of her hands cupped over her eyes, through her tears, she sobbed, "I am just so overwhelmed." I asked her no details, but that with her permission, I would like to pray for her. She nodded, lowering her head, the sobs still catching in her throat as I held her hand and prayed God's help, his peace and above all, that she would know how loved she was.
As I talked and prayed with the young woman another worker entered and joined us. She nodded as I finished and smiled. "God's timing," she said. "God's timing brought you in here."
As I stood in the lobby after the movie had concluded, chatting with a couple who had traveled over from Montgomery to watch the film, I turned to see that same young woman waiting to speak with me. I smiled, and she smiled back. "I just wanted to say thank you," she said. And then she hugged me once again. Out of gratitude I believe, that I had cared enough to ask. And it was all in God's timing. All in his timing.
No comments:
Post a Comment